Saturday, August 16, 2008

Camel Brigade

It's a long drive between our house and San Diego, but with a couple of kids, it somehow becomes more practical than flying. Despite gas prices, it's cheaper. And when we get there, we have our own car and car seats. In theory, I can foist kid stuff off on my sister this way too. I think she foisted more stuff back on me this time. What goes around comes around...or whatever.

It took us almost 12 hours to get there this time around. It seemed like we stopped at every rest stop and tried to make Mam go potty. Fortunately, I made a miraculous discovery, children's books on tape. So, the Magic Tree House, Junie B. Jones and a funny little story called Cal and the Amazing Anti-Gravity Machine, probably saved our sanity. I don't know how I could have missed these at the library before!

Also on our agenda was a special stop at our favorite little park on the Grapevine. I put together a letterbox with the express goal of planting it there. I found the perfect spot and it's even been found at least once already. My crazy little stamping brain is thrilled.

Shortly after planting this box, we found another one along the highway and reached a milestone...100! Yeah, I know. Advertising that I've found 100 letterboxes since December 31st, 2007 probably does nothing for my reputation. School starts in just a few days. I'll chill out. I promise. I think.

1 comment:

MamaB said...

Yes, books on tape are totally awesome for long road trips. Anne of Green Gables didn't go over well with Andrew but they both liked The Mouse and The Motorcycle.