Sunday, September 9, 2007

Another First Day

It used to feel like after my kids started walking and talking, they were sort of out of "firsts" to record, but I was so wrong. Especially lately, it seems like the firsts just keep piling up. And these days I'm more of a participant and teacher than I used to be. Even though those first smiles and first steps were precious and beautiful, I was a mere onlooker. I loved those times, but I'm having so much more fun now!

Wednesday was Mam's first day of preschool. She went to preschool last year, so this shouldn't seem like such a big deal, but this is a new school for her. Smunch went there last year, so it's familiar for her and for me, it's only a 5 minute drive instead of the 15-20 minute drive we had last year. So we're both happy. If Mam looks a little uncertain in this photo, it's because she took a header into the sign the first time I asked her to pose or me. I'd had to console her for quite a while before getting this one.

A parent is required to attend the entire first day of school with their child at this particular preschool and naturally, that job fell to me. It gave me a nice opportunity to document the occasion and witness Mam's unadulterated joy at being in school with her new best friend...getting to sing, paint, play with sand, roll out play dough, listen to stories, ride bikes and share a snack with her new classmates. Prior to this day, we went to a little playdate in the park where she met a little girl named Riley. The two stuck to each other like glue at the park. The first day of school was no different.

At one point, she looked at me and said, "It's my first day of school! I love it!" Holy cow. I wish enthusiasm could be bottled and sold!

Friday was her first day of school all by herself. She seemed just a smidgen anxious about it before she said, "If I feel lonely, I'll go play with Riley." When I dropped her off on Friday and said "O.K., you can go on in," she walked through the door and out the back door to the playground without even looking back.

No tears, but no hugs and kisses either. I didn't know what to do with her at home, but I kinda miss her already!

No comments: