Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cookin'

I'm really not this kind of mom. I believe that part of parenting should be teaching your kids how to live independently and I understand that part of that might be teaching them to cook.But I'm not the kind of mom who wants my kids help me cook dinner. I'm all about efficiency and cooking dinner with kid help has got to be one of the most inefficient processes in the whole world.

So, you can imagine why Daddy would have picked up the camera upon seeing me teaching the kids to make turkey tacos. I figured it's easy and the kids were bugging me...and they'd bug me less if they were helping me. Of course, they weren't all that helpful. In all my years of cooking, I forgot that it actually requires practice to brown ground meat properly...making sure it's not in giant hard-to-cook clumps and that you're not flinging it out of the frying pan.There were tears (on Mam's part) and frustration (on all of our parts), but they helped make the whole dinner. And maybe, just maybe, they ate just a little more for their part in the process.

2 comments:

Barrett, Melinda, Angel Trinity, and Baby Zander said...

LOL!! Your honesty on parenting makes me laugh. I love turkey tacos! They are yummy! Very cute of you to have the kids cook with you. Such a good mommy! ;)

Christie said...

Apparently cooking with you is a contact sport since Mam is wearing her helmet (safety first!). LOL