Thursday, April 3, 2008

A hobby just isn't a hobby without Michael's

Seriously. If you haven't spent at least $50 at Michael's for it, can you really call it a hobby...or at least a crafty hobby? (I know I can spend far more than that at REI, for instance.)

During our last letterboxing trip, I ran across a comment from a person by the trail name Wascally Wabbit. The comment sounded seriously dismayed that there weren't more hand-carved stamps in the log book. His/hers is naturally hand carved and pretty cool. It always sounded like a lot of trouble to me. I can buy something way cooler than I could possibly carve. But have you priced rubber stamps lately? Yikes! If you're going to hide letterboxes...especially those likely to disappear, like our second one...I'm thinking a cheaper alternative is a must!

So, yesterday's trip to Michael's was in search of things I could use to carve an eraser into a cool rubber stamp. Eraser? Check. Exact-o knife? Check. Uh, that's really it. I don't know how my bill got so big. Must've been all that other crap in my basket.

Last night, I searched for some clipart and other things I could use as a template for a stamp. I wanted to carve a heron because I've got plans to put a letterbox where we often see a great blue heron hanging out. So, here goes...
Hey, not bad, if I do say so myself! So I tried an easier one. This time it was the all-seeing "Eye of Horus". Wow. This is so easy, I should probably never go to Michael's again...except to buy erasers and replacement knife blades!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so COOL! Great job. You say it's easy, huh?

Queen Bee said...

Really, really cool! Good job!