Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Splish! Splash!

One of my favorite things to do with the kids is to take them to the park, or the library or even out in the backyard and let them play in the water. It's not just that it makes for colorful pictures that I can post to my blog. There's just so much unadulterated glee involved! I can't remember the last time the kids fought while running around in water. I'm not sure it's ever happened. It's worth it to stop and think just how much fun I thought it was to run through the sprinklers as a kid.

But water is often accompanied by mud. And mud is often some form of artwork all over my floor and the bathroom sink, it's easy to see how letting the kids get wet might not be worthwhile. In fact, the floor has been cleaned three times in the last two days. (Those of you who are familiar with my home-cleaning abilities will know that this was a major, major effort on my part.) But with a little careful planning, including sunscreen, swimsuits, towels, a change of clothes and ample snacks...preferable all taken away from home, we all have a great time.

These photos were taken at the water feature of the local park. In theory, we went to the park to listen to a band play, but at least I was prepared for the inevitable trip to the water. When I tell Mam it's too cold to go out and get all wet, she never fails with this particular line these days: "But I want to get freezing cold!" Fortunately, it was plenty warm for frolicking in the water this weekend. She came out freezing cold anyway, but she was awfully happy about it!

No comments: