Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The More Dirt, the More Fun

I'm doing things a little out of order here. I can't seem to manage to write things as they happen. It was Memorial Day weekend, so we were a busy little family. Mostly, my husband and I were busy *working*. He's got some big presentation to Steve Jobs in a few weeks...with several hurdles to clear before that presentation. And I, lacking good reliable babysitting, had a lot left over work from the week. I can't wait to have a reasonable work schedule again, especially now that my consulting business is about as busy as I want it to be at this point. Still, we managed to have a couple of fun outings.

Sunday, we were invited to a family picnic at a sorta-local park. The kids had a great time. They've got some fun climbing structures made out of rope with a rope bridge connecting them. Mam was really, really proud of herself for getting from one end to the other.
Smunch is big enough that it was fairly easy for him, but he was still pretty tentative on the bridge. These first photos were taken just after we got there, so the kids were still reasonably happy. But Mam's been super whiney lately and finally broke into a runny nose. And Smuch...well...despite a sudden improvement in his speech, his behavior didn't really follow.
Things went rapidly downhill (from a parental standpoint) from here. Daddy usually keeps tabs on the kids when we go to family picnics while I fulfill the social butterfly role. This time, neither of us did a good job of keeping track of the kids. Before we knew it, the kids were playing in the fine, fine dusty dirt under a boardwalk. I went to get them for lunch. Mam had wet her pants already. It wasn't until we tried to go home that Daddy found out that Smunch had also had an accident...necessitating a trip home in a makeshift diaper. Fortunately, I bring spare clothes for Mam. Even more fortunately, she fell fast asleep on the way home!

1 comment:

Queen Bee said...

Okay, that last picture is PRICELESS!!! I LOVE it!!!