Sunday, February 24, 2013

Out - Please Leave a Message

I must be kinda dense. I don't know why anyone wouldn't enjoy doing something like this. Thanks to MommieN. for joining me on yet another adventure.This little day trip couldn't have come at a much better time. My kids were getting ready to leave on a ski trip for the week...something I've got completely irrational paranoia about...and birthday season always has me a little stressed out. Just one more birthday to go, thank goodness. I'm looking forward to ice skating this weekend with a bunch of 8- and 9-year-olds, but that just means I've got a cake to get started on.

I don't talk about it too often because it makes me a buzzkill, but I really hate skiing. I hate just about everything about it. I enjoy the "whee!" factor a bit, but not enough to overcome the things I just detest...the cold, the people constantly threatening to run me down, my own lack of skill and confidence.

So, when the kids came back on Friday, I snuggled up to Mam one evening and told her I felt badly that both my kids love something so much that I really don't enjoy. I said that I'd missed them and that it was strange to be here all by myself. I didn't say so, but I really don't enjoy being the odd person out either.

"Well, it's kind of like hiking, Mom," Mam said, trying to placate me. "You really like that and we DON'T."


I didn't know what to say. Mam was obviously unclear that my problem had more to do with spending activity time alone than with not having an activity to do. I might've preferred a stake through the heart to a declaration that no one likes hiking but me. 


How in the world did I produce these people?? And what am I going to do with them for a weekend in this same state park this summer?

3 comments:

Mona said...

Although I haven't done the skiing with kids thing yet (yep - shameful!), my method is to be dropped off at the cross-country skiing lodge and let the rest downhill without me while I have a lovely quiet day on my own. Then I see them at 4:30 or 5 when they pick me up. Its like hiking on skis.

nb said...

LOL! OK I shouldn't laugh but that's still funny the way Mam said "You love hiking but WE DON'T." Funny thing is, they'll probably have wonderful memories of it later, and totally appreciate that you did that with them. It's just getting to that "later" part -- !

MommaWriter said...

I'm more concerned that they'll hate hiking enough to never go as adults. No one ever made me go hiking. We never even went camping, really. Maybe that's why I love it.