Monday, November 12, 2007

The Sparkly Pillow

I've blogged previously about Mam's spotty record with potty training. Her pediatrician's bright idea was to put her on a potty schedule. Obviously, the good doctor has never tried to put Mam on a schedule. After, oh, half a day of trying that one, I opted for the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy of potty training. I stopped asking. I stopped telling. The struggle wasn't worth it.

Instead, about two months ago, I took Mam to Diddams and told her she could pick out anything she wanted. She would get it when she could keep her pants dry for one week straight. She picked out a big, glittery heart-shaped pillow, which she immediately dubbed "the sparkly pillow". I don't love the sparkly pillow, but that really wasn't the point. Mam adores it.
Obviously, Mam had to work long and hard to earn her pillow. It lived in the garage until Sunday night, when Mam discovered it on her bed. She'd finally kept her pants dry for 7 (really 8) days straight and she was so proud of herself. I know, because she said so. Repeatedly. "Are you proud of me?" she kept asking through the glowing smile.Who wouldn't be proud? And today is day nine of dry pants. I hesitate to say we've succeeded, but we're making progress! And our Mam couldn't be happier with her new bedtime companion.

No comments: