Saturday, January 22, 2011

Crystals

Some time ago, Gram gave Mam and Smunch a crystal growing kit as a gift. It seemed like a cool little project. But that just meant we didn't get around to it for a long, long time. But one of the first days of the holiday vacation, we set the little kit up.

I didn't have high hopes. Had I been more hopeful about this project, I would have taken photos every few days to show what was going on. But I didn't. In fact, I was shocked when Mam made me come look at the little tank a few days later and there were some pretty little crystals growing. We'd started with a couple of rocks and a scary yellow solution.

I made her wait a couple more weeks before draining off the liquid. By then, it looked kind of like this:The big, clear crystals had sprouted a sparkly, yellow tree of tiny crystals. And then there were other, more classic-looking crystals around the sides of the rocks.As soon as school was back in, Mam was begging to take the crystals to school for "sharing". So the yellow "tree" is gone now, but having done a successful scientific experiment at home was pretty darned fun...a lot more fun than all those unsuccessful science projects I did when it was my job!

1 comment:

Barrett, Melinda, Angel Trinity, and Baby Zander said...

that's actually a super cool and fun project! It's amazing how something like crystals can grow into something really cool looking