Friday, October 5, 2012

Grace

Today, while in line at the grocery store, the man behind me commented on my hair. I truly don't believe he was hitting on me. He was a little older and from a foreign country and he said the most peculiar thing.

"It's so refreshing to see a woman who is letting her hair go grey naturally," he said. "It is lovely."

I have never, EVER had a stranger say something like that to me before. Don't think I never consider coloring my hair. I do. I've been going grey for at least 15 years now. I don't really want anyone commenting on my many pigment-challenged hairs. I didn't quite know what to say, so I laughed and said, "Don't tell my mother that! Actually, on second thought please tell my mother!"

Every now and then my mom will take a look at my hair, comment on its greyness and ask if I'm ever going to dye it. To her deep disappointment, I always say 'no'.

The stranger continued. "You are growing old gracefully."

"Well, that was the idea, but I'm not so sure how well it's working out!" I laughed some more.

But the more I thought about it, the bigger a compliment I thought it was. If I could just have more grace in living my life! And really, isn't it nice of a stranger to take note of just about anything and comment on it in an admiring and respectful way?

Before I left, I turned around and thanked him for making my day. And it'd already been a pretty good one.

No comments: